Sunday, April 25, 2010

In the beginning...

On my first post, I mentioned that I knew I couldn't be a music teacher when I wrote my "Philosophy of Music Education" paper for a music class I took. So here is the story, from the beginning:

When I was 14, I went on a medical mission trip to Honduras. I actually went as a cook, but ended up in the O.R. helping out for some odd reason. I LOVED it- every minute of it. I thought I wanted to do something medical for sure. Now fast-forward 3 years, and I am practicing piano and harp like a fiend. Somewhere along the road music became so much a part of me that when I was offered a full music scholarship to college I jumped on it without even thinking twice! During the next three years, I developed carpal tunnel but kept going 100 miles an hour to a music degree.

So here I am, a senior in college and writing this paper on my views of music education when I realized that I had a problem. I was supposed to talk about how music education was so important (and it is) and should be a "core curriculum subject" (which it probably should), but it felt fake to me. I didn't have a passion about it like other people did, and believe me- music is NOT something you go into as a profession unless you are EXTREMELY passionate about it. I am so glad that my friends are musicians and music teachers, but that isn't where God wanted me, and it took me a little while to figure it out.



Now, enough of the past- here is my present life!

I went out to Tennessee this week with my mom and grandma to see my cousin K graduate from LPN school. So proud :)


This is K with my Aunt Mary.
















Also this week was the Cadaver Ball! And no, there were no cadavers there. That's weird.

This is me and my man at the party. We celebrate our 1st (marriage) anniversary in just 2 more weeks! He's pretty nice and very good looking, so I think I will keep him ;)















In case you want to know, the cadaver ball is basically a big, fancy party we have to celebrate the end of gross anatomy. Next year is the Fungi Formal :)

2 comments:

  1. For some reason your updates don't show up on the side of my blog. Anyway, I love your dress. Glad there were no cadavers there=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so great that you realized that you did not have a passion for music before you started your career. I was a fourth year Accounting major until I realized that that was not what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. That was a huge step, but so glad I made the change before I graduated=).

    I can not believe it has already been one year!Wow!

    ReplyDelete